Suggestions for InstantForum 2016-3

InstantForum Suggestion
Hi Ryan

I would find the following really useful.

1. Under "Manage Members" I would like the table of members to include a column of user email addresses. Ideally I'd like to configure which columns to display.

2. Under "Awaiting Activation" I would like the table of members to include a column of user email addresses and another column indicating why the activation is pending (eg SPAM detection).

3. I'd like a way to discard unused members. For example, if a user hasn't logged in for a year or a user has no posts then I want to be able to list these users and delete them from the admin control panel.

4. I would prefer if the "Welcome to our newest member" message on the home page not be updated if that user is pending activation. If the registration is spam I don't want the name to appear.

Thanks
InstantForum Suggestion

componentspace - Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7:04 AM
Hi Ryan

I would find the following really useful.

1. Under "Manage Members" I would like the table of members to include a column of user email addresses. Ideally I'd like to configure which columns to display.

2. Under "Awaiting Activation" I would like the table of members to include a column of user email addresses and another column indicating why the activation is pending (eg SPAM detection).

3. I'd like a way to discard unused members. For example, if a user hasn't logged in for a year or a user has no posts then I want to be able to list these users and delete them from the admin control panel.

4. I would prefer if the "Welcome to our newest member" message on the home page not be updated if that user is pending activation. If the registration is spam I don't want the name to appear.

Thanks

Hi Gavin,

Thank you so much for your post and suggestions. Some very good ideas here. 

1. Email column in Admin CP member list - Whilst you can already customize the visible columns via the Columns property on the MemberList control as shown below we don't unfortunately have an email address column.

within Skins/{SkinName}/Admin/AdminEditUsers.ascx you can set the columns property as highlighted below. This shows the current available columns.

A new email column will be added to the member list so this can be included within the Admin UI for 2016-3 and beyond.

<InstantForum:MemberList id="ctlMemberList" Columns="Username,UserLevel,LastActive,PM" EnableHeaderPaging="false" runat="Server"/>

For your reference Gavin you can search by email address within the Admin CP. This won't work on the regular member list via the front-end but within the Admin CP you can search via email. 

2. Email and pending reason within awaiting activation list - Again great suggestions. We can include the email address as part of the work for suggestion 1. This is very simple. For the pending reason we may just add a flag (at least for now) that lets you visually see if an account was automatically flagged as SPAM during registration. Within the InstantForum_Users table we have a IsSpam column we can easily use for this. Would this be acceptable for you at least for 2016-3?

3. I know we've worked with you via email to provide a custom script to purge inactive accounts however I completely agree a way via the Admin CP to achieve is this of course preferable.  This has been on our list for a little while now so you can expect to see progress with this in the coming releases. Our goal is to provide a new set of manual tools you can use within the Admin CP to manually choose which users to delete and to provide a few sample scheduled tasks you can create to automatically delete users if they've not logged in for one year and never posted along with other filters. I hope we can have something to share here in the forthcoming updates.  This is very high on our list. 

4. Last member display name. Another great suggestion and again I completely agree. This has already been updated for the forthcoming 2016-3 update to ensure only the latest registered member is shown here and not the latest member awaiting activation. 

If you would like this behavior within your current 2016-2 installation you would need to execute the following TSQL against your database to update the necessary stored procedure. 

For InstantForum 2016-2 Only...

ALTER PROCEDURE [if_sp_SelectStatistics]
AS
SET NOCOUNT ON

/* Select essential statistics from the board */

-- latest member
DECLARE @intLatestMemberUserID int;
SET @intLatestMemberUserID = (
SELECT MAX(u.UserID) FROM
InstantForum_Users ifu WITH (nolock)
JOIN InstantASP_Users u WITH (nolock) ON ifu.UserID = u.UserID
WHERE u.PrimaryRoleID = (
SELECT RoleID FROM InstantASP_Roles WHERE MemberRole = 1
)
)

-- return
SELECT
(SELECT COUNT(UserID) FROM InstantForum_Users WITH (nolock)) As TotalMembers,
(SELECT COUNT(PostID) FROM InstantForum_Topics WITH (nolock) WHERE (InstantForum_Topics.Queued <> 1 AND InstantForum_Topics.ParentID < 1)) As TotalTopics,
(SELECT COUNT(PostID) FROM InstantForum_Topics WITH (nolock) WHERE (InstantForum_Topics.Queued <> 1 AND InstantForum_Topics.ParentID > 0)) As TotalPosts,
u.UserID As LatestMemberUserID,
u.Username As LatestMemberUsername,
u.UsernameEncoded AS LatestMemberUsernameEncoded,
u.CreatedDate AS LatestMemberCreatedDate,
u.OpenID AS LatestMemberOpenID,
u.FirstName AS LatestMemberFirstName,
u.LastName AS LatestMemberLastName,
u.UserIconID AS LatestMemberUserIconID
FROM InstantASP_Users AS u WITH (nolock)
WHERE u.UserID = @intLatestMemberUserID

Thank you again Gavin. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post theses here within our forum. I'll work to keep this topic updated as we make progress with these suggestions. 

If you have further suggestions don't hesitate to start a new topic so we can address those separately.. 

If others would also like to see these suggestions please don't forget to give Gavin some recognition and vote up the original post :)

http://www.instantasp.co.uk/images/line.gif
Kindest Regards,

Ryan Healey

ryan@instantasp.co.uk
www.instantasp.co.uk
Blog | Community | Docs

http://www.instantasp.co.uk/core/assets/images/email/facebook.png http://www.instantasp.co.uk/core/assets/images/email/twitter.png http://www.instantasp.co.uk/core/assets/images/email/google.png http://www.instantasp.co.uk/core/assets/images/email/linkedin.png

Great support as always! Thanks Ryan.
GO

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Social Logins

Select a Forum....

InstantASP Forums

Search