Completely unrelated XP and workgroups problem

Hello.

This has nothing to do with IF4 but hey you might know the answer.

A socalled tech expert came over to our office and switched my XP laptop to workgroup without checking that it wasn't already on a domain (which it is). As a result I now cannot log in to my laptop.

I want to avoid travelling to my company's IT support people tomorrow - anybody know how to fix it so I can log back in? Even a suggestion on the username prefix suffix etc would be great.

I have trawled through Google and Microsoft and they tell me to either hack a new admin password or give up and go to the IT department.

Anybody ever had this and solved it?

Thanks.

Liam

1. Right Click on My Computer

2. Find Computer Name Tab

3. Should be 3rd thing on that tab: "To rename a computer or join a domain..."

Jimmy Stuart

Jimmy,

Liam can't login to his laptop...  I think it will be hard to right click on My Computer :D

P.S. I'm going to move this topic to the General Chit Chat area.  It seems to be the appropriate forum.

..:: Bare ::..

Thanks for moving it - hadn't spotted this forum ;)

Nope can't login so can't do nowt.

Woops, missed the can't login part.  lol

When you get the ctrl-alt-del login screen does it have the Log on to or More Options button with some right arrows?

You can also try the following in your username:

domain/username

What does your login screen show you/give you as options?

Jimmy Stuart

Jimmy Stuart (5/11/2005)
Woops, missed the can't login part.  lol

When you get the ctrl-alt-del login screen does it have the Log on to or More Options button with some right arrows?

You can also try the following in your username:

domain/username

What does your login screen show you/give you as options?

This is the bit I need help with - my log in screen has no further options I was hoping to be able to choose workgroups etc). As far as the domain/username goes - what should this be? I believe the expert simply switched to the default - but is that WORKGROUP? I tried that and nothing happened.

As far as the help pages go, they say i have effectively been removed from access permanently.. nice touch..

What is your domain?

When you are just part of a workgroup, it has nothing to do with logins at all, just things like file sharing.  Have you tried logging in with your username and pwd with no domain (if there is a domain box leave it blank)?

What boxes do you have on your login screen?  Also what buttons do you have?

When I say login with domain/username just type your domain name / your username.  This is your real domain, not whatever whoever might have switched you to.

Again, workgroups have no bearing on logging in.

Jimmy Stuart

You need the admin password.  You can try the normal ways

try Administrator with no password

Administrator with password as the password

Administrator with the computer's name as the password, if you know it. If not you can maybe see it from a computer on your network

Try phoning your IT company up and asking them for the admin password, then you can get into your PC. Apart from that you'd have to get a boot CD that can hack your password, or take it back.

Even if you do log in you will not be able to connect your computer back onto your domain without the correct privilages.

GO

Login
Existing Account
Email Address:

Password:

Social Logins

Select a Forum....

InstantASP Forums

Search